Just a few recent surprising self realizations - Parte Cinco

Continued from May 2011...


1. My job causes time to pass in half-time, so it actually feels like it's only been 5.5 months since I started this job instead of almost a year. And therefore, I will not be turning 30 years old anytime soon. Or, does it mean I will be turning 30 in the very imminent future..? 

2. Apparently, long-term relationships are even more complicated than I previously imagined, in that they involve working out not only all of the details of the relationship itself, but also many conflicting external forces. It makes me wonder how so many people make it work? 

3. Seattle is a very nice place, but it's entirely too far away from the Center of the Universe, New Orleans. 

4. I'm starting to enjoy distance cycling almost as much as distance running, which confirms the suspicion I have that I am really just a bit compulsive and/or masochistic. 

5. I'm incredibly addicted to the cult of Cross Fit. I think about the WOD's during the day, and I'm so sad when they're over…

6. I am very satisfied with my life right now. This is strange, because I spend at least half of my time escaping my current life in the form of traveling. Hmmm.

7. I'm starting to realize that I just don't have time for a lot of people who are very important to me from my past. I'm trying to fit it all in and run out of time. My sister is making this situation more difficult by having a baby next month. 

8. I have 26 weeks off per year and have absolutely no free time. I have also worked every holiday since I started except New Years 2012… What's up with that? 

9. Nursing homes are pretty scary places. I will avoid ever having to be in one, and I may use drastic measures if needed. Unless I'm too demented to know better, then it's fine. Just remember, no ICU. 

10. There's something about living far away that has allowed me to be my own independent person, with individual interests and activities. I was never able to quite pull this off at home, and wonder where the geographic vortex line is…

11. When the sun comes out in the Seattle Springtime of July, it feels like the most beautiful thing in the world. 

12. I can't wait till the election is over, mainly because it's so boring. 

13. I'm totally comfortable renewing my lease in my current apt, which hasn't happened before. Ever. 

14. I miss yoga and climbing at Momentum. 

15. My little brother is going to college next year. 

16. I'm thankful every day that I'm not in residency. Some days, when I'm tired or don't want to go to work, or I'm having a terrible day, I remind myself that at least it's not residency and I'm immediately happier. 

17. I have enough money saved to buy my car. Also, I have no credit card debt. Boring budgets pay off. 

18. The iPad just doesn't do it for me. <Bad Yuppy, Bad. >

19. I wonder if I'd like living in Philidelphia..

20. I hope I get into Anesthesia when I finally apply so I can shut up about it already. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Early morning, pitch black, 
the lighted lamps reflected in the window. 

A moth, outside, aroused from slumber flutters
bumping against the glass. 
Is it seeking light, or is it warmth I ask?

In less than a minute and a dozen hits
it learns this to be a futile task and dread free
flutters away. 

while man, with his soul-fueled head,
keeps bumping double-pane,
loneliness and meaning, until he's dead. 
-----John L Wright, MD---

Avoid the world, it's just a lot of dust and drag and means nothing in the end.
----Jack Kerouac---

When you're young the dates are short and the years are long. In old age the days are long and the years are short. 
----Pope Paul VI---

"Good God, what a mess of draggle-tail impulses a man is--and a woman too, I guess." 
— John Steinbeck (The Winter of Our Discontent)---

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random thoughts, part 14: on death, love, and permanence.

Torres del Paine Patagonia Part 3: the “w” trek.

Mother’s Differential Diagnosis